Mr. Michael Malcom
Middle School Principal
Weekly Messenger 2/21/2017
Greetings Comet Families! Here are the EMS announcements for the week of 2/21/17:
- hool, on college campus, or online.
- I am pleased to announce that EMS has been selected by the Ohio Department of Education to participate in the National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as NAEP. The results are called The Nation's Report Card because it measures students achievement across the country. Only select 8th graders will be involved in the NAEP testing. The selection process is random and completed through the NAEP. The test will take place Tuesday, February 28th.
- This week is JTI (Junior Teen Institute) Spirit Week at EMS. It is free to participate.
- Tuesday - PJ Day
- Wednesday - Country Day
- Thursday - Mathletes vs. Athletes
- Friday - Blackout vs. Whiteout
- Elgin Local has definitely been hit hard by the flu bug. Please check your child's attendance in PowerSchool. Please also encourage your child to wash their hands regularly and use hand sanitizer. Make sure that they get enough sleep and exercise, and eat a well-balanced diet.
- EMS Track Sign Ups will take place Tuesday, February 21st during lunch. Coach Ferrell, Coach Vermillion and Coach Fuchs will be coaching the EMS track team this year. Practices will start in early March.
- Baseball and Softball fliers for LaRue and Prospect will be distributed to students this week. Forms can also be found on the Elgin Middle School Website, and in the HS/MS office.
- Elgin Middle School will offer After School Tutoring / Extra Internet time on the following days:
- 6th Grade - Tuesdays after school with Mrs. Forbis
- 7th Grade - Tuesdays after school with Mrs. Phelps / Thursdays with Mrs. Creviston
- 8th Grade - Wednesdays after school with Mrs. Muselin
- Students may ride the Elementary Bus home after tutoring.
- Just a reminder regarding grades 6-12 attendance policy. Students may only miss up to 5 days per quarter. Absences beyond 5 days that are not super excused (Dr. Note/Court/Funeral) will result in failure of that quarter.
- Please remind students to bring their charged chromebooks to school every day.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 740-223-4300 if you have any questions.
Have a great week and as always #GoComets