Mr. Michael Malcom
Middle School Principal
Weekly Messenger 1/17/2017
Greetings Comet Families! Here are the EMS announcements for the week of 1/17/17:
- The end of the second 9 weeks is this Friday, January 20th. Quarter 2 grades will be posted online on Friday January 27th around 8:00 AM on PowerSchool. Remember that you can monitor student assignments via PowerSchool or contact your student's teachers with any questions.
- Congratulations to the following EMS students on their placement in the Spelling Bee:
Alt 2 Nolan Segbers 7th
1st Abigail Hoffman 7th
2nd Abbie Taylor 8th
3rd Emma Tea 7th
4th Ashley Watkins 8th
5th Nate Grim 7th
6th Harli Davenport 8th
Alt 1 Harrison Sager 6th
- If your son or daughter is taking a HS level class, exams will be this week. The Spanish exam will be administered Thursday & Friday during class. The Algebra 1 exam will be administered Thursday morning. The Health exam will be administered Friday during classtime.
- Events for the week of 1/17
- 1/18 - EMS Girls Basketball @ Pleasant
- 1/18 - EMS Boys Basketball vs. Pleasant
- 1/21 - EMS Wrestling @ Cardington - 10
Elgin Middle School will offer After School Tutoring / Extra Internet time on the following days:
- 6th Grade - Tuesdays after school with Mrs. Forbis
- 7th Grade - Tuesdays after school with Mrs. Phelps / Thursdays with Mrs. Creviston
- 8th Grade - Wednesdays after school with Mrs. Muselin
- Students may ride the Elementary Bus home after tutoring.
Elgin Middle School is starting a Vex IQ Robotics team. The goal of our team is to build teamwork, problem solving skills, and leadership. We would like to compete in one competition this year and hopefully more in the future. Through the robotics club students will learn valuable lessons and skills for life. This team will be led by Miss Swanger, Digital Media Specialist, and Mr. Michael James, current student-teacher. Mr. James competed in Vex Robotics as a student and competed at the World Competition in California.
The club will meet after school until 3:30 on Monday through Friday. Currently we are working on transportation issues to allow students who ride the bus to compete in this club.
- Just a reminder regarding grades 6-12 attendance policy. Students may only miss up to 5 days per quarter. Absences beyond 5 days that are not super excused (Dr. Note/Court/Funeral) will result in failure of that quarter.
- Please remind students to bring their charged chromebooks to school every day.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 740-223-4300 if you have any questions.
Have a great week and as always #GoComets