It is that time of year again when we see a rise in student sickness, absenteeism and clinic visits in general. Keep in mind it is in everyone's best interest to keep your child at home if the following exists:
- fever above 100 degrees (must be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to school)
- diarrhea within the last 24 hours
- vomiting within the last 24 hours
- persistent cough lasting more than 24 hours
- ongoing sore throat
- rash or infection of the skin
- red or pink eyes
- persistent earache or stomach ache
If your child has any of these symptoms when it is time for school, it is best to keep him/her home. Generally, your child may return to school when he/she is free of signs of illness. If your child complains of being sick or does not feel well once he/she reaches school, we will contact you. Therefore, it is very important that you furnish us with working phone numbers and multiple contacts when possible.
Also, we have had a number of students coming to school with no coats! If you do not have a coat for your child, please let us know. We can help. Mittens, hats, and scarves are also very important as we have no shield from the wind when on recess.
K. Ute, Elgin Health Consultant